Spaghetti with Eggplant
Small chunks of eggplant and fresh tomatoes combine to form a hearty, full-flavored sauce for boiled spaghetti with eggplant recipe.
Yield: Serves 4
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch-Iong strips
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 3 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 12 black oil-cured olives, pitted and sliced
- 6 flat anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound spaghetti, boiled and drained
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the eggplant, green bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Toss to coat with oil and stir over medium heat until the eggplant begins to soften. Add the tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
2. Stir in the olives, anchovies, capers, basil, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat and cook, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mixture is reduced to a thickened consistency. Add the hot, drained spaghetti and toss to combine. Serve with Parmesan cheese.