Harvest Pumpkin Bisque
The flavors of apple, maple and cinnamon blend smoothly with pumpkin to produce this outstanding Pumpkin Bisque.
Total Time: 8
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Big pinch cinnamon
- Pinch crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 24-ounce jar unsweetened applesauce
- 1 30-ounce can pumpkin purée (not pumpkin-pie filling), such as One-Pie brand
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- 2 cups half-and-half or light cream
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pot and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add ginger, cinnamon, and red-pepper flakes and stir. Add applesauce, pumpkin, broth, maple syrup, and salt. Stir to combine; then simmer 15 minutes.
Stir in half-and-half or cream; then purée in a blender (work in batches) until smooth.