Slow Cooker Tamale Pie
- 2 cups chicken broth or bouillon
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, fresh - chopped
- 1/2 pound pork sausage
- 1 pound beef stew meat - 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1/2 cup celery - finely chopped
- 1 green chile pepper, mild - seeded/chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes - chopped
- 8 ounces can whole-kernel corn - drained
- 1 can ripe olives, sliced - drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Whole or halved pitted olives
InstructionsBring broth or bouillon to boil in medium saucepan.
Stirring constantly, slowly add cornmeal. Simmer mixture 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro. Using a greased spatula, spread cornmeal mixture on bottom and about 2 inches up sides of slow-cooker.
In large bowl, combine sausage, stew meat, onion, celery, chili pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, corn, sliced olives, salt and pepper. Carefully spoon into center of cornmeal-lined pot.
Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours. Garnish with ripe olives.