Baked Broccoli and Butternut Squash
Golden chunks of squash tossed with bright green broccoli flowerets are baked in a cardamom-scented butter sauce.
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 medium bunch broccoli
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Juice of half a lemon
Instructions1. Separate the broccoli into flowerets, cutting any large flowerets in half to promote even cooking. Reserve the stalks for another use.
2. Meanwhile, bake the uncut squash at 350° for 20 minutes (or microwave on high for 3-1/2 minutes) to soften it slightly. When cool enough to handle, cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Peel the squash and cut the flesh into small chunks.
3. Put the water and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Add the broccoli and the squash, then cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover the pan, stir the broccoli and squash, and pour on the chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and continue baking for 20 to 25 additional minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
4. Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and stir in the cardamom. Transfer the broccoli and squash to a serving dish, using a slotted spoon. Pour any remaining liquid in the baking dish into the saucepan and blend with the butter. Just before serving, pour the butter over the vegetables and drizzle on the lemon juice.