Easy Cheese and Potato Casserole
This quick and easy-to-prepare cheese and potato casserole is the perfect choice for the buffet table. It can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Meat-and-potatoes lovers will enjoy it as a side dish, while vegetarians might find themselves happy with this as the main course.
Yield: 12 to 15 servings
- 1 bag (2 pounds) frozen southern-style hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1 can (10-1/3 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 carton (16 ounces) sour cream
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups crushed potato chips or cornflake crumbs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart casserole or 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish.
Thaw the potatoes just enough to break them apart. Combine in a large bowl with the onion, celery, soup, sour cream, Cheddar cheese, melted butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Spoon into the baking dish. Top with the crumbs. Bake for 1 hour. Serve hot.