The fruity sweetness of Gewurztraminer wine enhances the tangy flavor of rhubarb in this cool, refreshing dessert. A few drops of red food coloring accentuate the pink blush customarily associated with rhubarb preparations.
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 cup Gewürztraminer wine
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 or 5 drops red food coloring
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
Instructions1. In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, wine, corn syrup, and sugar. Place over high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the rhubarb is very tender.
2. Transfer to the container of a blender or processor and whirl until smooth. Blend in the food coloring, one drop at a time, until the mixture is a delicate pink.
3. Pour into the container of an ice cream machine and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Freeze until firm and serve garnished with fresh mint leaves if you wish.