Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
- 1-1/2 cups quinoa
- 1-1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups cooked corn (fresh, canned or frozen)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced fine
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/3 cup olive oil
1. Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve under cold running water until water runs clear.
2. Put quinoa in a pot with 2-1/4 cups water.
3. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
4. Fluff quinoa with a fork and transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.
5. While quinoa is cooking, in a small bowl toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add beans, corn, bell pepper, scallions, garlic, cayenne and coriander to the quinoa. Toss well.
7. In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, salt, cumin and add oil in a stream while whisking. Drizzle over salad and toss well with salt and pepper. Salad may be made a day ahead and refrigerated, covered. Bring to room temperature before serving.