Pureed Parsnips with Sherry
Try puréed parsnips in place of mashed turnips at your next Thanksgiving Day dinner.
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch lengths
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Instructions1. Boil or steam the parsnips until tender. Drain in a colander, then force through a food mill or sieve, allowing the puréed parsnips to fall into a large bowl.
2. Preheat the oven to 350° and generously butter a casserole dish. Add the butter to the hot parsnips and beat until thoroughly melted. Blend in the cream, sherry, salt, and cayenne. Pour into the prepared dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg and scatter the pecans over the surface. Bake for 20 minutes and serve at once.