Serve this colorful pork stew with garlic bread or baking powder biscuits and a grapefruit/avocado salad.
Yield: Serves 4-6
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cubed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef stock
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into
- 1-inch lengths
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 5 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or canned (10 ounces), chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- I head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- Chopped parsley
Melt butter in Dutch oven. Brown pork and stir until blended. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat evenly. Add stock and stir until blended. Add carrots, onions, tomatoes, salt, and caraway seed. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Add cabbage. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes longer, or until pork and vegetables are tender. Garnish with chopped parsley.