Pommery Chicken Breasts
Serve with brown rice and a fresh, tightly cooked green vegetable. –Windflower Inn, Great Barrington, Massachusetts
Yield: Serves 4.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (8 ounces each), trimmed of fat but with skin left on
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/4 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Pommery mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Dust chicken breasts with flour and brown skin side down in butter in large skillet. When skin is brown and crisp turn over and cook on other side until barely done--about 10 minutes in all. Pour brandy over chicken and ignite. When flames die down, remove chicken to platter and keep warm in low oven. Add garlic and shallots to pan and sauté briefly. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté about 3 minutes. Add heavy cream, mustard, and parsley. Cook over high heat stirring constantly until reduced and thickened. Season with salt to taste and serve over chicken breasts.