Perfect Sesame Noodles
- 1 lb. vermicelli
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- at least half as much grated fresh ginger by volume as garlic
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, golden roasted Chinese style
- 1/2 cup light sesame oil or other neutral salad oil
- 1/2 cup light and mild brewed rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (oriental, but not Tamari)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese hot oil or chile oil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
InstructionsA day in advance:
1. Combine the two sesame oils in a sauce pan. Saute the garlic and ginger in the two oils until soft. Do not allow to become crisp and brown.
2. Add the vinegar, soy sauce, hot oil and sugar and boil for a few seconds. Remove from heat.
3. Cook the vermicelli al dente and then rinse very thoroughly with cold water and drain.
4. Mix the noodles with sauce and toss.
5. Toss the noodles occasionally so that they all get a chance to marinate in the sauce. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
1. Bring noodles to room temperature.
2. Add chopped cilantro and sliced scallions and toss.