Palak Panir (Spinach and Tofu)
Another wonderful Indian curry — this time with spinach and tofu.
Yield: Serves 8.
- Corn oil or olive oil, as needed (about 3/4 cup)
- 16 ounces tofu, sliced 1/2-inch thick and cut in 1-inch squares
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and picked over
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt