Oven-Baked Caramel French Toast
Absolutely delicious just the way it is, but for a variation, place a layer of Granny Smith apple slices between the sandwiched bread. — Graycote Inn, Bar Harbor, Maine
Yield: Serves 6 to 9.
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 12 to 18 slices Italian or French bread
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Graycote Inn Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
Combine the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Pour into a 13x9-inch baking dish and sprinkle half the pecans over the syrup. Place 6 to 9 slices of bread on top of the syrup mixture and sprinkle the remaining pecans on top of the bread. Top with the remaining 6 to 9 slices of bread.
Combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in a blender. Pour evenly over the bread slices, cover the baking dish, and chill for 8 hours.
Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 degree oven until lightly browned, for 40 to 45 minutes. Drizzle sauce over toast before serving.
Graycote Inn Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.