Old New York Pickles
Family recipe passed down over the generations.
Yield: 5 pounds
- 5 pounds kirbies (pick small firm ones)
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons pickling spices
- fresh dill (a few sprigs)
- 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 quarts water, approximately
- one gallon jar
InstructionsWash and lightly salt kirbies and let them sit for half an hour. Rinse off the salt and put them into the one-gallon jar.
Dissolve salt in 1 quart of water; add vinegar, pickling spices and garlic. Add this mixture to the kirbies and fill to the top of the jar with water.
Shake and add the dill. Store in the refrigerator.
Pickles will be ready in about 4 days.