Norwegian Fruit Soup
Yield: 6 servings
- 28 to 32 ounces canned prune plums, pitted, drained, juice reserved
- 2 cups juice from plums and fruit
- 2 cups canned, fresh, or frozen fruit, with red fruit predominating: raspberries, boysenberries, cherries, blueberries, pineapple chunks, citrus sections, thinly sliced peaches or kiwi fruit, frozen "mixed fruits"
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Minute tapioca, depending on juiciness of fruit
- 2 3-inch sticks cinnamon bark
- 3 or 4 whole allspice (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice and grated zest
- sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped and lightly sweetened, or 1/2 cup sour cream
InstructionsSet fruit aside. Combine juice with tapioca in large saucepan and let sit 5 minutes. Add spices and lemon zest and cook, stirring, for 3 or 4 minutes. Add fruit and continue to cook until thickened and clear. Remove spices. Add lemon juice and sugar to taste.
Serve hot or cold with whipped or sour cream and a little grated nutmeg.