Mexican-Style Lima Beans
My favorite lima-bean recipe is this zesty dish consisting of lima beans, tomatoes, and jalapeno chili peppers smoothed with melted cream cheese. Serve with crispy fried chicken.
Yield: Serves 4
- 3 pounds lima beans, shelled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 green jalapeno chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Several drops of Tabasco sauce
- 1 large package (8 ounces) cream cheese
Instructions1. Boil or steam the beans until tender, and then, if necessary, remove the outer skins. Drain in a colander.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet until the butter is melted. Add the onion and garlic and toss to coat. Stir over medium heat until the onion is tender. Add the tomatoes, chili peppers, salt, cumin, and Tabasco. Continue stirring over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until the chilies are tender and the tomatoes are soft.
3. Add the cream cheese and continue stirring until the cheese melts and forms a smooth sauce. Blend in the lima beans and heat gently until warmed through.