Baked Fish Fiesta
Like Lena’s other fish recipes, this one is designed to be attractive and aromatic, as well as delicious.
Yield: Serves 6.
- 2 pounds cusk, cod, or other firm fish fillets, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) stewed tomatoes or 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
Cut fish into 6 equal portions (if frozen, thaw first). Combine bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic. Dip fish in oil, drain, and dip in crumb mixture. Place fillets in individual baking pans or on a baking sheet. Fry bacon pieces until half-done; drain well. Top each fish portion with an equal amount of bacon, tomato pieces, and egg slices. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Bake in moderate (375 degrees F) oven for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.