Lemon & Garlic Quinoa Salad
This recipe is a favorite of Tracie’s in part because it incorporates one of her favorite foods: quinoa, a protein-packed grain that’s “really healthy but one that not many people have discovered yet.” It tastes much like tabouleh, a bulgur-wheat salad made with parsley, lemon, garlic, and tomatoes.
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups dry quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3 large carrots, chopped medium
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (preferably tamari)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large tomato, chopped medium
- 2/3 cup minced parsley
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 4 medium-size garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
InstructionsIn a fine-mesh strainer, rinse quinoa with warm water and drain well. Transfer to a large (14-inch) frying pan without oil; toast over medium heat, stirring often, until fragrant and nutty, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a 4- to 5-quart pot, bring 5 cups water to boil; add salt and carrots and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove carrots with a strainer; then add quinoa to the boiling water. Reduce heat to medium and simmer quinoa until water is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
Pour quinoa into a large bowl, and add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.