- 1 head savoy cabbage (commonly called "curly" cabbage), separated into leaves
- 1 pound each ground pork and ground beef
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 medium onions, chopped and sauteed in butter until transparent
- 1 cup cooked rice (1/2 cup uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices, tied in a cheesecloth bag
InstructionsParboil cabbage leaves to soften. Remove thick ribs. Spread out a large piece of cheesecloth and arrange leaves on it in an overlapping circle.
Mix everything else except pickling spices as for meat loaf, form into a large ball, and center on the bed of cabbage leaves. Gather cheesecloth to wrap leaves around meat, and tie at the top. Bring a tall, narrow kettle of water to a boil; add pickling spices and cabbage ball. Simmer gently for about an hour and a quarter. Remove from the cloth and place the ball of meat and cabbage on a platter. With the spiced water the meat was boiled in, make a brown flour gravy. Very good with mashed potatoes.