When Lena makes her Jubilee Gumbo she no longer follows a recipe; she simply tosses together whatever comes to mind by instinct. The recipe here is only a guideline: Lena urges all to try their own combinations — the greater the variety, the better.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8.
- 1 pound ocean fish fillets (for example, haddock, snapper; cod, and/or sole)
- 1/2 pound small peeled shrimp and 1 pound shucked clams or other assorted seafoods
- 1 can (1 pound) tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper; chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil, more or less
- 2 cups water and white wine, half and half, to cover
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce