Joe is my brother-in-law and a connoisseur of New Jersey diner desserts. He says that this is the best he’s ever had. I believe him.
Yield: Makes 8 servings.
- Almond Crust Crust
InstructionsI recommend using the Almond Crumb Crust. Prepare and prebake the crust as directed. Set aside.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3-1/2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into
- 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
InstructionsWhisk the sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in a mediumsize heavy saucepan, preferably nonstick. Whisk in the milk and yolks. Place over medium heat and cook, whisking until the mixture thickens and starts to boil–about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, one piece at a time. Whisk in the vanilla, coconut extract, and coconut. Pour the filling into the pie shell and smooth the top with a spoon. Place a piece of plastic wrap over the filling and smooth with your fingers to remove any air gaps. (The plastic keeps a “skin” from forming.) Transfer the pie to a rack and cool thoroughly. Refrigerate overnight.
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup cold heavy cream or whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract