Jane’s Four-Grain Crackers
These uniquely flavored four-grain crackers are surprisingly easy to make. One short cut is to roll out the dough directly onto the baking sheet.
Yield: Yield: 3 dozen 2-inch crackers,
- 4 tablespoons each whole millet, rolled oats, and rye flour
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 3 tablespoons chicken fat or margarine
- 1/2 cup yogurt or buttermilk (approximately)
Mix all dry ingredients together. Cut in fat. Mix in only enough yogurt or buttermilk to make the dough stick together. Cover and let rest at least 30 minutes. Roll out dough on a floured surface until to about 1/8-inch thick. Place on a baking sheet. Prick with a fork and score into 2-inch squares with a pastry wheel. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until dry and lightly browned. Cool on racks and break apart.