Marrying into an Italian family necessitated the need for my own recipe for Italian Meatloaf that is moist and delicious and my husband’s favorite.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2-1/2 pounds ground chuck (at least 85% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt for meat
- 2 eggs
- dash milk
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- Progresso Italian bread crumbs
- 4 slices uncooked bacon
- 1 16-ounce can tomato sauce
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, combine meat, onions, and peppers. Add next 8 ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add enough bread crumbs so meat mixture holds together nicely.
Form into a loaf shape and place in a large baking pan. Put strips of bacon lengthwise over the top, then cover with tomato sauce. Bake uncovered for 1-1/2 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes and fresh green beans.