- SHAMROCK STEW
- 1 lb. Beef chuck steak cut 1" thick
- 3 cups water
- 2 c. Beef stock or beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup peeled and cubed turnips
- 1 cup peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 onion sliced into rings
- 1/2 tsp. Ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- Cut the beef into 1" cubes.
Instructionsa large saucepan, combine the beef,
Water, stock or broth and bay leaf.
Cover and bring to a boil,
Then reduce the heat.
Simmer for 1 1/4 hours.
Add the carrots, turnips, potatoes,
Onions and pepper.
Cover and return to a boil, then reduce the heat.
Simmer about 30 minutes or until the
Vegetables are tender. Skim the fat from the stew.
Remove and discard the bay leaf.
Remove about 1 cup of the liquid. In a small
Bowl, use a wire whisk to stir the liquid into
The flour until smooth and free of lumps. Then
Stir into the stew. Add the marjoram.
Cook and stir over medium-high heat until
The stew thickens and begins to gently boil.
Cook and stir for 1 minute more.