Holiday Cranberry Chutney on Goat Cheese Toasts
This chutney is also wonderful when served with roasted or grilled meats.
Total Time: 25
Yield: 4 cups chutney, hors d'oeuvres for 8 people
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup firmly packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 peeled, seeded Granny Smith apples, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons peeled, grated fresh gingerroot
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 3 cups fresh cranberries (12-ounce bag)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1 large baguette, cut into 24 thin slices and toasted
- 12 ounces goat cheese
- Garnish: fresh rosemary sprigs
InstructionsIn a medium Dutch oven, simmer onions and brown sugar in water until onions are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the apples, vinegar, gingerroot, orange and lime zests, salt, and mustard seeds; simmer about 10 minutes longer. Add cranberries, orange and lime juices, cayenne pepper, curry powder, cardamom, and currants; cook until the cranberries begin to split open and the mixture thickens, about 15 minutes longer.
Refrigerate mixture until ready to use (covered, it will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator). To serve, spread chutney over goat cheese and serve with toasted baguette slices. Garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs.