Grilled Tomatoes with Herbed Cheese
The best tomatoes to use for this recipe for grilled tomatoes with herbed cheese are those that are ripe, but not yet soft. Firm-fleshed tomatoes don’t disintegrate as quickly when exposed to harsh heat.
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 large, firm tomatoes, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 heaping teaspoons herbed Boursin cheese
1. Slice the stem and blossom ends from the tomatoes and discard. Cut them in half horizontally to form 2 thick slices. Using a serrated grapefruit knife, carve out a shallow depression about 1-1/2 inches in diameter in the center of each slice.
2. Brush both sides of each slice generously with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place, depression side down, on a hot grill. When the slices soften, turn them over and place a teaspoon-size dollop of Boursin cheese in each depression. Continue grilling until the cheese is soft and hot. Serve immediately.