Grilled eggplant halves are an attractive and tasty companion for grilled lamb chops or veal sausage.
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 small eggplants, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Then make a series of shallow gashes, 1 inch apart, diagonally across the surface of each half. Make another series of gashes in the opposite direction, creating a diamond-shaped grid.
2. Brush the surface of the flesh with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Scatter the thyme over the surface and then, using your fingertips, press some of the thyme down into the gashes. Place eggplants flesh side down on a grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush the skin sides with oil and turn the eggplants over. Continue grilling until the flesh is tender but not mushy.