Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1(5-by-10 inch) piece ciabatta bread
- 12 slices Emmenthaler Swiss cheese
- 1 medium vine-ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
Instructions1. Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Using a serrated
knife, carefully slice ciabatta horizontally into thirds;
reserve top and bottom crust for bread slices.
2. Place bread slices on work surface, crust-side down; butter cut-side of each slice. Top 1 slice
with 6 slices cheese, tomato slices seasoned with salt and pepper, basil leaves, and finish with 6
more slices cheese; top with remaining bread slice, buttered-side facing in. Butter 1 exterior side
of sandwich, seasoning with salt and pepper; halve sandwich to fit grill pan.
3. Place sandwich butter-side down onto grill pan. Weight sandwich with a large cast-iron skillet;
cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Remove skillet, butter exterior side of top bread slice; turn,
weight down sandwich, and cook for 3 minutes more. Repeat with remaining sandwich half.
Slice sandwiches crosswise into 2-inch pieces. Serve immediately.