Flavin’s Famous Grilled Glazed Salmon (or Trout)
Yield: serves 4
- 1 Recipe glaze
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 4 salmon filets (or Trout)
- Ground Black Pepper Mill
- Vegetable Oil for grill grate
- Lemon Wedges for serving
- Grill, grill brush, charcoal, matches,
- paper towels, basting brush, tongs, paring knife,
- bowl for oil, flat bowl for marinating, dish for peppering fish,
- dish for serving salmon
Instructions1. Measure 2 tablespoons glaze into small bowl and set aside.
2. Whisk soy sauce and maple syrup in dish large enough for filets until combined; carefully place fillets flesh-side down in single layer in marinade (do not coat skin with marinade) and refrigerate while preparing grill.
3. Using chimney starter, ignite about 6 quarts (1 large chimney, or 2.5 pounds) charcoal briquettes and burn until covered with layer of light grey ash, about 15 minutes.
4. Empty coals into grill; build a two-layer fire by stacking two-thirds of coals in one-half of grill and arranging remaining coals in single layer in other half.
5. Position grill grate over coals, cover grill, and heat until grate is hot, about 5 minutes;
6. scrape grate clean with grill brush.
7. Remove salmonid from marinade and sprinkle flesh liberally with pepper. Using long-handled grill tongs, dip wad of paper towels in vegetable oil and wipe hot side of grill and cook until grill-marked, about 1 minute.
8. Using tongs, flip fillets skin-side down, still on hot side of grill; brush flesh with glaze and cook until salmon is opaque about halfway up thickness of filletes, 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Again using long-handled grill tongs, dip was of paper towels in vegetable oil and wipe cooler side of grill grate.
10. Brush flesh again with glaze, then turn fillets flesh-side down onto cooler side of grill; cook until deeply browned, crust has formed, and center of thickest part of fillet is still translucent when cut into with paring knife, about 1.5 minutes.
11. Transfer fillets to platter, brush with reserved 2 tablespoons glaze, and serve immediately with lemon wedges.