Fruit and Radish Salad with Feta and Almonds
A bright and fresh salad that will satisfy any craving for fresh spring vegetables from The Chefs Collaborative Cookbook, a lovely book from the Boston-based Chefs Collaborative and author Ellen Jackson.
Total Time: 20
Hands-On Time: 20
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 small red onion
- 3 to 4 radishes
- About 2 pounds fresh peaches, strawberries, or mangoes, peeled or stemmed as needed) and cut into 1/4-inch slices or wedges
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne or other mild vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup mild feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
Thinly slice the onions on a mandoline or with a very sharp knife. You should end up with about 1⁄4 cup. Fill a small bowl with cold water and a few ice cubes and soak the onions for 5 minutes; this mellows the sharp bite typical of raw onions and makes them crisp. Drain the onions and pat dry with paper towels. Thinly slice the radishes.
Combine the oil and vinegar in a bowl with some salt and black pepper and whisk to combine. Add the peaches, onions, radishes, and basil, tossing gently to evenly coat the ingredients. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Divide the salad equally among six plates and top with the crumbled feta and toasted almonds.