Frosted Strawberry Squares
Cold, creamy, and fruity, these frosted strawberry squares are the perfect summer dessert. Count on 6-hours for freezing time.
Yield: Serves 16.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, or 1 10-oz pkg frozen strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
InstructionsMix together flour, nuts, brown sugar, and melted butter, and spread evenly over bottom of jelly-roll pan or cookie sheet. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Sprinkle 2/3 of these crumbs in a 9x9 pan.
Combine egg whites, white sugar, and lemon juice in large bowl. Beat at high speed to stiff peaks. Add the berries and continue to beat.
Fold in whipped cream. Spoon over crumbs. Sprinkle remaining crumbs over top. Freeze 6 hours or overnight. Cut into squares.