From Scratch Beef Stroganoff
I loved stroganoff as a kid, but as a working mom I found it tough to cook after work. This recipe works well with ground beef for weeknights or cubed chuck for weekends, when there’s a little more time to cook.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 pounds cubed or ground beef
- flour, salt, pepper to dredge meat
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup milk or cream
- black ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bag wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine to coat noodles after they're cooked.
Instructions10 inch or larger fying pan.
Meat cubes in 1/2 inch cubes or less.
Mix flour, salt and pepper in a zippered plastic bag. Add meat and shake until well coated (or, if using ground beef, brown in skillet).
Coat frying pan with olive oil and heat until a drop of water spits. Add onion and saut