An easy version of an old favorite.
Yield: 12 to 15
For the Filling:
- 8 ounces dates, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose white flour
In a small saucepan, combine all the filling ingredients. Cook over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, until thickened. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the dates to soften fully.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Then make the crust.
For the Crust:
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, at room temperature
To make the crust, mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, and soda. With a fork, blend the butter into the oat mixture. Divide in half and press half into the bottom of an ungreased 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan. Spread the date filling on top. Sprinkle with the remaining oat mixture.
Bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into squares.