Dark Fruit Cake
My dad got this recipe from the newspaper years ago. It’s the only fruit cake I’ve ever liked. It isn’t the average fruit cake.
Yield: About 5 pounds
- 1 cup butter
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups (1 pound) raisins
- 3 cups (1 pound) pitted dates, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups (1/2 pound) currants
- 1/2 pound candied cherries
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) shelled, chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sweet wine or fruit juice (pineapple juice is good)
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
InstructionsCream butter, brown sugar, and eggs.
Mix together raisins, dates, currants, candied cherries, walnuts, honey, and wine or juice and add to creamed mixture.
Mix together flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and mace and add to mixture.
Bake in a 10-inch tube pan or two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans at 275 degrees for about 2-1/2 hours in a shallow pan of water on lower rack of oven.