Curried Butternut Squash
Like many farm stand recipes, this one for Curried Butternut Squash makes for a quick yet deeply satisifying vegetarian (or vegan) meal.
Total Time: 30
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeds discarded, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup toasted pistachios nuts (or pine nuts)
- 1 orange, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions or chives
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté butternut squash and onion in oil until slightly softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add spices and bay leaf, stir well, and cook about 2 minutes longer, stirring ingredients a few times (spices will become very fragrant).
Add stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer, cover pan, and cook 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove bay leaf, fold in rice, raisins, pistachios, and orange pieces. Cook 1 to 2 minutes to heat rice.
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with chopped scallions or chives.