Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Even if you think you don’t like cauliflower, give this Cream of Cauliflower Soup a try. The mild, engaging flavor will surprise you and just might change your mind.
Yield: Serves 6
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of cayenne
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium cauliflower, divided into flowerets
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup medium or whipping cream
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Blend in the flour, salt, and cayenne and stir over medium heat until the mixture foams. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower and reduce the heat. Cover and cook at a gentle bubble for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Lift out 6 of the most attractive flowerets and set aside. Stir in the lemon juice.
2. Transfer to the container of a blender and whirl until processor and whirl until smooth. Return to the saucepan and blend in the cream. Place over medium heat and warm gently, but not allow the soup to boil. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with the reserved flowerets.