Corn Chowder I
In summer, use leftover corn-on-the-cob; in winter, frozen, canned, or cream-style corn.
Yield: Serves 4
- 1/4 pound salt pork or 3 slices bacon, diced
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups corn
- 1 cup cream or milk (omit if cream-style corn is used)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Fry salt pork in soup kettle until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Sauté onions in fat until golden. Pour in stock. Add potatoes and corn and simmer, partially covered, 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cream, season with salt and pepper, and heat; do not boil. Garnish with reserved salt pork.