Small squares of bacon contribute lusty flavor to this fresh corn soup — comforting fare for those first cold days of September.
Yield: Serve 6
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium waxy potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked corn kernels (4 or 5 ears)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Instructions1. Fry the bacon until crisp and drain on absorbent paper. Transfer 3 tablespoons of the fat to a large pan.
2. Add the onion and potatoes to the pan and stir
over medmm heat until the onion is tender. Sprinkle on the flour and continue to stir over medium heat until the mIxture foams. Stir in the water and bring to a boil.
3. Add the corn and reduce the heat. Cover the pan and cook slowly for 5 to 8 minutes or until the corn is tender. Pour in the milk and add the bay leaf. Cover and cook unnl the potatoes are tender. Lift out the bay leaf. Season WIth salt and pepper, then stir in the bacon. Simmer until the bacon becomes limp and serve hot.