Corn and Red Pepper Salad
Because iceberg lettuce heads so tightly, the inner leaves form deep, rounded cups that are just the thing for cradling this appealing corn salad.
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 ears corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, white and green portion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 4 well-formed leaves of iceberg lettuce
Instructions1. Drop the corn into a large pot of boiling water. Partially cover the pot and cook at a gentle bubble for 3 minutes or until the kernels are crisp-tender. Remove from the pot and drain in a colander. When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs.
2. Transfer the corn to a large mixing bowl. Add the red bell pepper, celery, and onions. Sprinkle on the cilantro and toss to combine.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, and paprika. Pour over the corn mixture and toss to coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for a couple of hours or until lightly chilled. Spoon into lettuce cups to serve.