This Zucchini Marmalade, with a slight hint of lemon and ginger, will disappear when served with warm scones.
Yield: Makes 6 pints.
- 2 pounds zucchini, washed and grated
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 can (13 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- melted paraffin, to seal jars
Put zucchini into a large kettle and add lemon peel, lemon juice, and pineapple. Bring ingredients to a boil over high heat. Lower heat and continue to simmer, uncovered, until zucchini is tender. Add pectin. Bring to a boil again, and stir in the sugar and ginger. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim off foam. Stir for 5 minutes to prevent zucchini from floating. Ladle into sterilized jelly jars, and seal with 1/4 inch of paraffin.