Clara’s Apple Pie
- Double Crust for a 9-inch Pie
- 2 cups King Arthur flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup cold water (more may be needed, depending on the weather)
- 2/3 cup Crisco
- Apple Pie Filling
- 6 to 8 Baldwin or other good cooking apples (depending on size)
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar (depending on tartness of apples)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
InstructionsSift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Remove 1/3 cup of this mixture and put in a small bowl; add 1/4 cup cold water and mix with a fork.
Combine remaining mixture with Crisco, rubbing together with hands until mixed. Combine wet mixture with dry until it forms a ball. Divide dough in half on floured board. Roll out bottom crust.
Peel and thinly slice apples. Add sugar and spices, mixing with hands until well combined. Line 9-inch pie plate with pastry and add half the apples. Press down to remove air pockets, then add remaining apples and press down firmly again.
Roll out top crust from other half of dough. Wet edge of bottom crust and place top crust over filling. Fold top edge under bottom edge; seal well. Press down again to remove remaining air.
Cut vents in top crust and brush with cream. Bake at 400 degrees F, 1 hour or until apples are soft.