A wonderful cold-weather get-together drink, perfect for a special party or for a more informal après ski. The combination is more flavorful and with the whipped cream topping, even smoother than the more usual hot buttered rum. Remember when planning bigger batches that whipping cream doubles in volume when whipped.
Yield: Makes enough for 10 to 15 demitasse cupfuls.
- 4 cups good fresh cider 1/4 to 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons apple brandy
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 rounded teaspoon orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped and lightly sweetened with 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, more or less
- Fresh nutmeg, for garnish (optional)