Chinese BBQ Pork
- 4 pound boneless pork butt (Boston butt) , cut into 8 strips and excess fat removed, see illustrations below (also see illustrations for removing the bone from a bone-in pork butt, if necessary)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (from 4- to 6-inch piece)
- 2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup honey
Instructions1. Using fork, prick pork 10 to 12 times on each side. Place pork in large plastic zipper-lock bag. Combine sugar, soy, hoisin, sherry, pepper, five-spice powder, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic in medium bowl. Measure out 1/2 cup marinade and set aside. Pour remaining marinade into bag with pork. Press out as much air as possible; seal bag. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
2. While meat marinates, combine ketchup and honey with reserved marinade in small saucepan. Cook glaze over medium heat until syrupy and reduced to 1 cup, 4 to 6 minutes.
3. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set wire rack on sheet.
4. Remove pork from marinade, letting any excess drip off, and place on wire rack. Pour 1/4 cup water into bottom of pan. Cover pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, crimping edges tightly to seal. Cook pork for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to cook until edges of pork begin to brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
5. Turn on broiler. Broil pork until evenly caramelized, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove pan from oven and brush pork with half of glaze; broil until deep mahogany color, 3 to 5 minutes. Using tongs, flip meat and broil until other side caramelizes, 7 to 9 minutes. Brush meat with remaining glaze and continue to broil until second side is deep mahogany, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool for at least 10 minutes, then cut into thin strips and serve.