Yield: 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli (Hogan’s brand works well)
- 4 1/2 pounds cleaned, de-bearded Washington mussels
- 1 cup West Australian Riesling wine
- 1 18-ounce can peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped (undrained)
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
InstructionsHeat saucepan with tight fitting lid, on medium heat. Add oil, onions, garlic and chilli; cook for 1 minute.
Add mussels, wine, and replace lid; cook 2 minutes on high heat. Add tomatoes and lemon; stir to promote even cooking. Replace lid and cook 2 minutes on high heat then add spring onions.
When shells open, the mussels are ready. Serve in large bowl, accompanied by a finger bowl.