Chilled Celery Bisque
The captivating flavor of celery transforms this chilled soup into elegant fare.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 bunches Pascal celery, plus the leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green portion, thinly sliced
- 6 green onions, white and green portion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sprigs of celery leaves for garnish
Instructions1. Melt the butter in a wide saucepan. Add the celery leeks, and onions and toss to coat evenly. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
2. Pour in the water and chicken broth. Add the tarragon and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle bubble and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft enough to mash against the side of the pan. Transfer to the container of a blender or processor and whirl until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and blend in the cream. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
3. Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice and pour into glass soup bowls. Garnish with sprigs of celery leaves if you wish.