Child-Proof Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
InstructionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease your cookie sheets.
Mix the sugar, shortening, egg, vanilla and almond extract until creamy. Mix in the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Make several small balls of dough. Roll out dough to about 1/8 or 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes with well floured cookie cutters. If desired, press candies, raisins, nuts or sprinkles into cookies. Place cookies onto the prepared sheets.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 8 to 10 minutes, depending upon whether you like hard or soft cookies. Remove cookies and let cool on a rack. Serve warm with a glass of milk. They are also good with ice cream wedged in the middle of two cookies.