Chicken With Avocado and Almonds
A dish combining the best of a fricassee and chow mein. The avocados add striking color and flavor.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes or 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 to 4 cups chopped cooked chicken (see tip)
- 3 cups diced zucchini
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 medium avocados, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a large casserole. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the broth, add the bouillon cubes, and stir to dissolve. Spread the almonds in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, then set aside to cool. Put the chicken, zucchini, and chestnuts into the casserole and set aside. In a separate, large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter, add the flour, whisk to combine, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring constantly, and cook until the sauce is smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour the liquid over the ingredients in the casserole. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and return to the oven uncovered to bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Arrange the avocado slices on top of the casserole. Sprinkle with almonds.