- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) white hominy, drained
- 6 3/4 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey meat (2 pounds)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Assorted garnishes, such as diced avocado, thinly sliced radishes, and crumbled tortilla chips (optional)
Instructions1. Heat oil in a 5-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, and oregano; cook, stirring constantly, until evenly distributed.
2. Add 4 cups water, broth, and hominy. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until fragrant, about 30 minutes.
3. Stir in chicken; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until heated through. (When freezing, cool completely before transferring to airtight containers.)
4. To serve, divide among bowls, and garnish as desired.