Chicken Curry in a Hurry
- For spicy rice:
- 1 teaspoon each coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds
- 2 cups basmati rice, prepared according to package directions
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, 3 turns of the pan
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders, diced
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced, mild to extra spicy
- 1 to 2 inches fresh ginger root, minced or grated, mild to extra spicy
- 1 large yellow skinned onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can chicken broth, about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons curry paste, mild or hot
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup mincemeat
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Toppings and garnishes, mix and match:
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or Spanish peanuts
- 1 cup prepared mango chutney
- 1 /4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
InstructionsPrepare rice to package directions. For spicy rice, toast coriander, cumin and mustard seeds in the bottom of a medium saucepan in 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil. When seeds pop and you can smell seasonings, add water and prepare rice as directed.
Heat 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and lightly brown. Remove chicken. To same pan, add garlic, ginger and onions and saute together for 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken broth to the pan and bring to a bubble. Add curry paste and mincemeat and reduce heat to medium low. Add chicken pieces back to the pan. Taste and add a little salt, if you feel it necessary. Simmer curry 5 to 10 minutes.
Assemble your toppings in small dishes. Serve curry in shallow bowls with scoops of rice or spiced Basmati. Garnish with any or all of your toppings.