Freezes beautifully and tastes even better the second time around. Experiment with the amounts of ingredients to find the combination that appeals most to your family.
Yield: Makes 6 quarts.
- 1/2 pound dry pinto beans
- 6 cups canned stewed tomatoes
- 1 pound green peppers, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2-1/2 pounds coarsely ground chuck
- 1 pound coarsely ground pork
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper